Tramore 2; Hibernians 0

 and in doing so they moved on to 13 points from their five games played in the league. The previous week they were being held by Southend United at the same venue at half time and that was the story once again on Thursday last.

The young Hibernians side gave as good as they got for long periods but the extra experience and a terrible ankle injury sustained by Michael Dunne put paid to their chances as the game progressed. One of the main talking points of this game was a superlative save by the Tramore goalkeeper Stephen Gahan. His wonder save made sure that the seasiders have only conceded one goal all season. This current Tramore team are setting a hot pace and now that they have signed Michael Downey from Dungarvan United they will probably get stronger as the season gathers pace.

Few chances

The opening 45 minutes did not produce many goal chances. Craig Maher, the Tramore defender got in a cross from the left after 10 minutes but Michael Downey’s header was easily saved by the visiting goalkeeper Eamon Burns. Three minutes later, Burns saved well from Robbie Phelan following a corner kick taken by Leigh Quilty. Michael Downey who was making his debut for Tramore raced down the left flank on 41 minutes before picking out Colin O’Shea who headed low at Eamon Burns and the Hibs goalkeeper did well to hold on to the ball.

Goals arrive

Hibernians were dealt a bad blow five minutes into the second half when their classy midfield player Michael Dunne was carried off with an ankle injury. He was taken to hospital by ambulance and later on it was confirmed that the unfortunate player had broken his ankle. Up to that point Dunne was keeping a close watch on the Tramore midfielder Stephen Grant. The deadlock was broken in fine style on 54 minutes. Colin O’Shea took a pass from Stephen Grant and he then picked out Stephen O’Shea with a good cross from the right and Stephen scored with a classic downward header which struck the ground and bounced over the helpless Eamon Burns.

The Hibernians goalkeeper was called into action once again 3 minutes later as he had to be at his best to turn over a shot from Sean Browne who whipped in the ball from just outside the penalty area. The Stephen Gahan wonder save arrived after 61 minutes. Paul Gahan, the Hibernians wide player drilled a rasping drive towards the far corner of the net from the left side of the penalty area. It looked a goal all over and the large crowd who were present to watch the game thought Hibernians had equalised but somehow Stephen Gahan, a former Aston Villa trainee flew through the air to his left to turn the ball out for a corner kick. Top drawer to say the very least.

Tramore put the game to bed after 82 minutes when substitute Derrick Williams got in a cross from the left to Robbie Phelan who tucked the ball to the net from close range despite close attentions from goalkeeper Eamon Burns. This was Phelan’s 4th goal of the current campaign. Michael Downey thought he had marked his first game for his new club shortly afterward when he rose high to meet a cross from Michael Kavanagh but his strong header came crashing back off the crossbar. A good game played on a wonderful surface on what was a balmy night.

Tramore: Stephen Gahan, Michael Kavanagh, Stephen O’Shea, Craig Maher, Martin Whelan, Stephen Grant, Colin O’Shea, Sean Browne, Leigh Quilty, Robbie Phelan, Michael Downey. Subs: Derrick Williams for Quilty (71 mins), Gary Hunt for Colin O’Shea (78 mins), Keith Worley for Downey (89 mins).

Hibernians: Eamon Burns, Ian O’Regan, Thomas Moore, John Boland, Colin Delahunty, Michael Dunne, Darren Cooney, Kenny Stafford, David Kennedy, Paul Gahan, David McGrath. Subs: Liam O’Meara for Dunne (50 mins), Ian Barry for Kennedy (67 mins), David Baxter for Stafford (71 mins).

Referee: Tony Walsh.