De La Salle 1; Southend United 3

Southend United moved into the next round of the MFA Cup on Saturday afternoon despite having to play without a number of regular players such as Lee Hayes and Lee Russell.

De La Salle’s aim this season is to remain hot on the heels of Ferrybank and Granagh in Division 1A so they wont lose any sleep about losing this game. Having said that they made the Premier League outfit work pretty hard for their victory.

Southend took the lead in fine style after only 2 minutes of play. Chris Feehan took a fine pass from Simon Power and he gave the DLS goalkeeper no chance with a delightful shot on the run from just outside the penalty area.

The home side got back on terms 9 minutes later. Shane Quinlan split the United defence with a fine ball and that gave Eoin Kenny the chance to beat Sean Walsh, the visiting goalkeeper, something he did superbly. Aaron Kelly, the DLS goalkeeper produced two wonderful saves to keep his team in the game on 16 and 35 minutes. He tipped a Paddy Carey free kick on to the crossbar before he somehow managed to tip over a bullet like header from Paul Deveraux who rose high to meet a corner kick taken by Paddy Carey from the left.

Southend went in front once again on 54 minutes. Paddy Carey took a pass from Michael Caulfield and despite a tight angle out wide left he somehow managed to find the far corner of the net with a low hard strike. Chris Feehan had a good chance to score his second goal of the game after 71 minutes but he shot wide from a very good position but Feehan did get his name on the scoresheet once again 8 minutes from full time. Dylan Murphy (Daryl Murphy’s young brother) crossed low from the left after taking a pass from David Croke and when his ball got into the penalty area, Feehan completed the move in great style.

De La Salle: Aaron Kelly, Brian Kenny, Michael O’Brien, Mark McGrath, Colin Grant, Derek Daly, Trevor Robinson, David McGrath, Shane Quinlan, Ricky Kempton, Eoin Kenny. Subs. David Barron for Grant (55 mins) David Kelly for O’Brien (66 mins) John Paul Kelly for Quinlan (82 mins)

Southend United: Sean Walsh, Daniel Sullivan, John Starmer, Michael Farrell, Paul Deveraux, Michael Caulfield, Chris Feehan, Barry Phelan, Simon Power, Paddy Carey, Michael Merrigan. Subs. David Croke for Merrigan (61 mins) Dylan Murphy for Power (70 mins) Aaron Butler for Caulfield (84 mins)

Referee: Tony Walsh.