Dungarvan's Derek Barry solos away from Mark Harrington, Douglas during their Munster intermediate hurling semi-final at Fraher Field.          | Photos: Michael Kiely

Dungarvan's Derek Barry solos away from Mark Harrington, Douglas during their Munster intermediate hurling semi-final at Fraher Field. | Photos: Michael Kiely

Douglas (Cork) 2-22;   Dungarvan 1-9

■□■ View More Photos

Despite the tonic of a Karl Duggan goal in the 11th minute, Dungarvan had to settle for second best against a very good Douglas side in the semi-finals of the Munster Intermediate Club Hurling Championship at Fraher Field on Sunday last.
From the off the Cork champions – who narrowly lost out last year in the Cork intermediate premier championship to eventual county, Munster and All-Ireland winners Blarney – were always on top..
With less than 90 seconds played, Stephen Moylan set up Mark Harrington to put the south Cork side into the lead. Cormac Curran, Dungarvan’s most lively forward of the afternoon, soon cancelled that out from a free with three minutes played.
Stephen Moylan put Douglas back in front after six minutes, but just two minutes later they had a major let off when Cormac Curran shot wide with a ground stroke close to goal; the surface, which resembled a minefield in places, not helping the young Dungarvan forward in his effort.
Mark Collins then found himself with a good goalscoring opportunity at the other end of the field but his effort too went wide of the mark.
Goal chances came thick and fast. On 11 minutes, Liam Ryan, who impressed in the latter stages of the domestic championship, spotted Karl Duggan in a much better position, laid the ball off and the Dungarvan centre forward gave Brian Boyle in the Douglas goal no chance with a bullet of a shot to give the Old Boro boys a deserved 1-1 to 0-2 lead.
Cormac Curran stretched Dungarvan’s lead on the quarter-hour mark when he pointed a free, but the rebel County representatives hit back with points from centrefield pairing Colin O’Mahony and Barry Fitzgerald.
Cormac Curran responded with a point from play on 20 minutes for Jimmy Healy’s charges but this was as good as it got for Dungarvan.
Richard Murphy pointed a minute after Curran’s effort and a further sixty seconds later Mark Harrington – clearly one player that Denis Walsh will be looking seriously at – drew a good save from David Moore, though Mark Collins was on hand to put the ball over the bar from the rebound.
The first half ended with Richard Murphy pointing for Douglas to give them a two-point lead going into the second period.
Within three minutes of the re-start the game was over as a contest. Douglas began the second half in whirlwind fashion. James Moylan received a pass from Mark Harrington just 36 seconds in and he pointed from close range. Richard Murphy, another player surely in senior county contention, scored and almost straight away Mark Collins sent over an effort, followed just seconds later by a Barry Fitzgerald point from play to put them six points to the good.
In the 34th minute Dungarvan were awarded a 21-metre free which Karl Duggan stepped up to take and rather than go for the safer option of putting the ball over the bar he went low and hard, but the ball was cleared out a crowded Douglas goalmouth.
On 36 minutes Harrington played received the ball from Odhrain Mulrooney and gave David Moore no chance as the Cork side grabbed their first goal, putting them nine points in front.
Cormac Curran was next to score when he pointed a free for Dungarvan, but full-forward Harrington hit a brace of quickfire points.
Cormac Curran pointed a couple of frees to keep Dungarvan just about in touch, before Douglas hit back with a barrage of scores from Harrington (2), Mulrooney (2) and Richard Murphy.
With seven minutes left Harrington scored his second goal when he collected a Murphy pass. Dungarvan substitute Johnny Lynch pointed with six minutes remaining and Harrington and Cormac Curran then exchanged points before Barry Fitzgerald and David Morrissey did likewise.
The final act of the game was for Harrington to put the ball between the Dungarvan uprights to give Douglas a facile victory and a place against South Liberties in the Munster Final on November 22.
Douglas: B Boyle; D McSweeney, A Barry, F Tobin; C Dineen, E Cadogan, R Keating; C O’Mahoney, B Fitzgerald; M Collins, O Mulrooney, S Moylan; R Murphy, M Harrington, J Moylan. Subs: T Cullinane for F Tobin, F Desmond for R Murphy, K Murphy for C Dineen, W Coveney for M Collins, C Lucey for S Moylan.
Scorers: M Harrington 2-8 (0-1 free), R Murphy 0-4 (3 frees), B Fitzgerald 0-3, M Collins, O Mulrooney 0-2 each, S Moylan, C O’Mahoney, J Moylan 0-1 each.
Dungarvan: D Moore; T Galvin, D Barry, JP Tutty; S Kearney, S Cunningham, W Flynn; J Nagle, K Moore; G Crotty, K Duggan, Cormac Curran, J O’Regan, L Ryan, Colm Curran. Sub: E Healy for W Flynn, P Kiely for S Kearney, L Egan for J O’Regan, D Morrissey for Cunningham, J Lynch for Colm Curran.
Scorers: Cormac Curran 0-7 (0-4 Frees), K Duggan 1-0, J Lynch, D Morrissey 0-1 each.
Referee: J Ryan (Tipperary).