[View photos]

St Saviour’s remain hot on the heels of Bohemians and Waterford Crystal following this latest victory on Sunday last in Ballybeg. They are just four points behind the leaders, Bohs and they show no sign of letting up in their quest for league honours.

The club promoted from Division 1A last season took the lead after 13 minutes. Joe Twomey played the ball out wide to Stephen Dalton who crossed low into the Ferrybank penalty area. Richard Gaffney tried to head clear while on his knees but the ball fell nicely to Billy Barron and he cracked the ball past the visiting goalkeeper Sean Phelan.

Ferrybank, who are battling for the Premier League status got back on level terms on 28 minutes. Peter Murphy had a shot blocked on the line by Kenny McLawrence but the ball rebounded to John O’Byrne who duly tucked home his 3rd goal of the current league campaign.

Billy Barron is a player on the top of his game right now and he scored his 8th league goal on 50 minutes in brilliant fashion. Stephen Dalton sent over a corner kick from the right. Sean Phelan punched the ball clear but it fell to Barron who had his back to goal. He produced a half turn before sending an unstoppable volley back into the roof of the net with the help of the crossbar. It was quite a stunning goal in every sense.

Ferrybank fought back manfully. Kevin Roche beat the offside trap on 55 minutes but he hit the upright. Graham Cleary in the Saints goal then produced a wonderful save from Niall Walsh. Sean Flynn sent Kevin Roche free on 62 minutes but the talented striker shot over the crossbar from a good position.

St Saviour’s were the team who almost scored the last goal of the game however when Pat Kiely set up Stephen Dalton but his shot was hacked off the line by Richard Gaffney.

These are desperate times indeed for Ferrybank, a team which finished in second place last season. They have a massive game this Saturday when they play at home to Villa.

St Saviour’s will fancy their chances of picking up another three points this Sunday when they host struggling Southend United in Ballybeg.