In 1783, brothers George and William Penrose founded the Penrose Glass House in the Waterford city. They soon established a brand known not only in Ireland, but throughout Europe and America, a brand still proudly intact today.
By 1851, the quality of Penrose Crystal culminating with its winning several gold medals at the Great Exhibition held in London.
But just as the Penrose ‘flower;’ was approaching full bloom, the financial climate turned grim and the factory was forced to close. Penrose was to lie dormant for over century.