Messrs Geary, Fitzgerald and Queally after the All-Ireland semi-final

Messrs Geary, Fitzgerald and Queally after the All-Ireland semi-final

Recovering at home after successfully undergoing minor heart surgery last week, Davy Fitzgerald’s future as Waterford hurling manager remains uncertain.

The Clareman, 38, had wire mesh stents inserted to boost the blood flow to a clogged artery in a Dublin hospital – 72 hours after his selectors Peter Queally and Maurice Geary stepped down.

Fitzgerald is said to have informed County Board officials that he wants to continue in charge of the senior hurlers in 2010, and this week he confirmed he intends staying in management – though he pointedly didn’t say with whom.

However, Queally, a Garda based in Youghal with a young family, has cited job commitments as the main reason for relinquishing his role – but intends returning to management in the future.

He pointed to last year’s All-Ireland semi-final win over Tipp as the highlight of his 14-month involvement.

“I thoroughly enjoyed it, though a selector’s role might be suited to an older person… it was a privilege to be involved,” said the 38-year-old Newtown-Ballydurn clubman, who hurled with the county seniors for more than a decade, winning a Munster championship medal in 2002.

“I enjoyed the coaching side and I might get back into that. I picked up a lot from Davy – and from Justin and Gerald McCarthy. I hope to put that to use over the next few years,” he said.

Ballyduff Upper servant Geary, having also initially joined the set-up on an interim basis in June 2008, made it clear last autumn that he would only fill the position for one more year.

Fitzgerald, who watched the All-Ireland Final at home and spoke of his delight at receiving a phone call offering their best wishes from respected Kilkenny GAA official Ned Quinn, said: “I was lucky out to get it in time and just get it dealt with.

“I’m feeling pretty okay,” he added, though he’s under doctors’ orders to rest up for several weeks.